March 10, 2009

Excessive amounts of bananas in my house = baking time

I'm not really keen on bananas but there were a load of really ripe bananas in my house that weren't going to be eaten and a packet of walnut pieces that claimed to be going out of date this month, so it was only right I didn't let them go to waste. The recipe below is from BBC Goodfood's 101 Cakes & Bakes which is a great little recipe book that cost me just under £4. You can expect more recipes from this book in the future seeing as I want to make nearly everything in it. Anyway, they call this 'Banana Teabread,' but I'd go for Banana and Walnut Loaf, myself.




Banana and Walnut Loaf


Ingredients
175g/6oz plain wholemeal flour
50g/2oz medium oatmeal - Sainsbury's did not have this, I just used Scottish porridge oats instead. Works fine.
100g/4oz butter, softened
100g/4oz dark muscovado sugar
2 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
2 eggs, beaten
3-4 ripe bananas, about 350g/12oz, peeled and mashed
100g/4oz walnuts, roughly chopped

How-to
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4/fan over 160C. Butter and line the base of a 1kg/2lb loaf tin with baking paper.

2. Put the wholemeal flour, oatmeal, butter, sugar, baking poweder, cinnamon and eggs into a large bowl and using an electric hand whisk, beat together until evenly mixed. Stir in the bananas and walnuts, taking care not to overmix.

3. Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 1¼ hours or until a skewer inserted comes out clean (cover the cake with foil halfway through cooking to prevent the top from overbrowning). Allow the cake to cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then carefully turn out, peel off the lining paper and cool completely on a wire rack.

For 10 servings, each serving is (allegedly) 309 kcalories. (I got 11 slices out of this, so it depends how much you want I guess.) Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment